Tuesday 27 August 2013

anyway then the stitches came out.

yea the stitches.

I was super keen to get those out.  Most people don't need them but because of my large well bosoms, the surgeon thought he would put some in for extra support for the wound.  The nurse came to take them out and I was so relieved when she took the first lot out as they were really pulling on my skin.  Don't think I would have been so keen if I had any idea what they were hiding.

A few hours after they were removed I was in agony.  I had a massive amount of pain spreading across my body and down my arms.  I was on fire and screaming.  We had to phone 999 and get me back into hospital.  The pain was so bad I would have taken anything to ease it.  The ambulance men couldn't really help because of my veins.  All they could do was give me entinox.  Was really weird, only time I had that before was when I was in labour.

Arrived at the hospital and they managed to get a line in and gave me some Ketamin then morphine for the pain but they were all baffled by the pain. Couldn't work out what was causing it.  My temperature was through the roof and I was delerious.  Eventually I was transferred to the heart hospital and treated for an infection but just didn't know what it was.  There was some sign of infection at the lower end of my wound so they took swabs and sent them off.

Next day a young student was cleaning my wound and as she wiped me down from the top of the wound.  Next thing there was an explosion of pus pouring out of the wound at the top.  Not where they thought the infection was. She called for help and her and a staff nurse were scooping swab fulls of pus off of my body.  My surgeon came in at some point during the day and opened up some of the wound to let more pus out.

All of this meant I was stuck in hospital for another 10 days being pumped full of very high dosage of antibiotics.  I was so ill and those med made me feel so sick and unable to eat.  Nothing tasted right was a nightmare.  Took me months before I could enjoy food or drink.  Also took months for the wound to totally heal.

For whatever reason all of this set me back a fair bit.  I had been walking and getting on fine before the infection thing (which by the way was septicemia) but it was weeks before I could walk any distance afterwards and months before I was back to walking normally.

The rest of this year has been a series of deaths and lumps of bad news.

First death was our cat Tiddles, he just gave up and passed away.  Then there was a fight in the house between 2 of our dogs and the Llasso ahpso was so badly hurt in the fight that he was seriously brain damaged and his body started shutting down and we had to make the heartbreaking decision to put him to sleep. On the same day my beautiful pedigree cat Leo lay down in his bed curled up, went to sleep and then just slipped away.

Now we are more or less up to day and we get to end of July.  Hubby's nephew got in touch with me to tell me that my mother in law had a bit of a fall and was in hospital.  She wasn't injured but they were worried about her because she had her legs under her for a few hours and had been unable to move. The hospital assured us it was nothing to be worried about but they were keeping her in to keep an eye on her.

After some minor problems the hospital was working towards her getting home.  Hubby spoke to her every day and she was happy and cheery and just like her normal self right up to and including 11th August.  Hubby spoke to her in the afternoon, his nephew visited her in the evening and she was in fine fettle.  Late evening she had her supper climbed into bed and just passed away.  Seems she had a clot that had been floating around in her body and it hit her lungs.  It was more or less instant.

Poor hubby hasn't been dealing with it very well at all.  He was very close to her and it had hit him like a ton of bricks.

Now he is working towards his operation.  he gets his new hip on Thursday 29th August and hopefully we will be able to move forward from there.  I would say things can't get worse but every time I do then something always proves me wrong.  All we can do is really hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment