Sunday 29 December 2013

The old Story teller

Part of a writing course I did in 2009 was about story telling and learning how to tell a story and not just read it.  I was inspired to write this piece when thinking about how old people love to tell stories of their youth.


The old story teller

What will it be like when I grow old?
Will my legs wobble?
Will my back fold?
Will I get narky and shout at kids
For running around
Banging dustbin lids
Will I have glasses to help me read?
Will I become deaf?
What will be my needs?
One thing I know about growing old
I will have stories
Those need to be told
There will be songs which need to be sung
To add to the things
To share with the young
Just as my parents shared them with me
I’ll share with children
Sat on my old knee
Sitting around my old worn armchair
I’ll be a teller
Of how things once were
Bringing alive tales of being young
Telling them the stories
Of how things begun
Then I won’t care if my back is bent
I’ll tell them these tales
Till my life is spent



Freda February  2009

No comments:

Post a Comment