Thursday 16 January 2014

Sometimes

I think I need to revisit my work and make changes but then I remember that I write things as I feel at that moment and in relation to the situations going round at the time.  Often my work offends and other times my choice of words aren't quite right, but it's my work and how I write.  Anyway for today we have a piece that came from a story about slavery in Liverpool.


Without me you are nothing


You sit in your big house
I stand chained to a wall
You are surrounded by family
My family are lost to me
You are clothed in great finery
I am in rags
You eat salmon and quail
My food is stale bread
You drink good wine and ale
I have stagnant water
You have skin which is clean and unblemished
My skin is scarred from whips and chains
You sleep lying in your great bed
I stand sleeping in a niche in the wall
You have warmth and light
For me only cold and darkness
You have great financial wealth
I have great poverty
You are deemed to be the better person
Yet without me you would have nothing
You are my master
I am your slave.



Freda Brodie (date unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment